Definition of Official document
1. Noun. (law) a document that states some contractual relationship or grants some right.
Generic synonyms: Document, Papers, Written Document
Specialized synonyms: Articles Of Incorporation, Derivative, Derivative Instrument, Negotiable Instrument, Passport, Ship's Papers, Manifest, Debenture, Power Of Attorney, Letters Of Administration, Letters Testamentary, Work Papers, Work Permit, Working Papers, Act, Enactment, Law, Bill, Measure, Brief, Legal Brief, Testament, Will, Living Will, Deed, Deed Of Conveyance, Title, Assignment, Deed Of Trust, Trust Deed, Conveyance, Income Tax Return, Return, Tax Return, Licence, License, Permit, Letters Patent, Patent, Judgement, Judgment, Legal Opinion, Opinion, Acquittance, Release, Judicial Writ, Writ, Authorisation, Authorization, Mandate, Affidavit, Written Agreement, Bill Of Indictment, Indictment, Impeachment, Arraignment, Certificate, Security
Category relationships: Jurisprudence, Law
Derivative terms: Instrument
Lexicographical Neighbors of Official Document
Literary usage of Official document
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Precedents of Indictments and Pleas: Adapted to the Use of Both of the by Francis Wharton (1881)
"(as eighth count specified), which said falsely altered official document is in the words and figures following, that is to say (here insert copy of ..."
2. The History of Minnesota: From the Earliest French Explorations to the by Edward Duffield Neill (1858)
"The first official document pertaining to Minnesota is worthy of preservation, and thus reads:— " Nicholas Perrot, commanding for the King, at the post of ..."
3. China and the Chinese: A General Description of the Country and Its by John Livingston Nevius (1869)
"Illustrative official Document.—Fortune-telling by the Use of Birds, Snakes, and Turtles.—Telling the Fortunes of past and future States of Existence. ..."
4. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1866)
"... of Trinity Parish, Port-au-Prince, was duly proclaimed by an official document from the Presiding Bishop of the United States, dated July 22,1863. ..."
5. Supreme Court Reporter by Robert Desty, United States Supreme Court, West Publishing Company (1910)
"First Instance for the City of Manila of the falsification by a public official of a public and official document. Reversed, and remanded with directions to ..."
6. Memoirs of an Ex-minister: An Autobiography by James Howard Harris Malmesbury (1885)
"... he ended by stating that he thought Drouyn de 1'Huys would consent to making the note verbale an official document (as annexed to this letter). ..."