Definition of Oligoplites
1. Noun. Leatherjackets.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Carangidae, Family Carangidae
Member holonyms: Leatherjack, Leatherjacket
Lexicographical Neighbors of Oligoplites
Literary usage of Oligoplites
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Genera of Fishes ...: A Contribution to the Stability of Scientific by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1917)
"If Browne's names are accepted, SAURUS must replace oligoplites Gill, its type species standing as SAURUS SAURUS (Bloch & Schneider). ..."
2. A Check-list of the Fishes and Fishlike Vertebrates of North and Middle America by David Starr Jordan, Barton Warren Evermann (1896)
"oligoplites altus ((¡¡hither). Pacific Coast of tropical America; ... oligoplites mundus Jordan & starks. West coast of Mexico; Mn/atlan. ..."
3. Reports of the North Carolina Geological and Economic Survey (1907)
"Genus oligoplites Gill. Leather-jackets. The leather-jackets are easily recognizable by ... oligoplites SAURUS (Bloch & Schneider). Runner; Leather-jacket. ..."
4. Fishes by David Starr Jordan (1907)
"In the New World genus oligoplites the scales are reduced to linear ridges ... oligoplites saurus is a common dry and bony fish abounding in the West Indies ..."
5. Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia (1898)
"Leather Coat. Scomber saurus Bloch & Schneider, Syst. Ich., 321, 1801 (Jamaica). oligoplites saurus, Jordan & Evermann, Fishes of North America, 898. 53. ..."