Definition of Os capitatum
1. Noun. The wrist bone with a rounded head shape that articulates with the 3rd metacarpus.
Generic synonyms: Carpal, Carpal Bone, Wrist Bone
Derivative terms: Capitate
Medical Definition of Os capitatum
1. Enlarged or swollen at tip, gathered into a mass at apex, as compound stigma, a knoblike stigma terminating a style. (09 Oct 1997)
Os Capitatum Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Os Capitatum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Os Capitatum
Literary usage of Os capitatum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Text-book of Fractures and Dislocations: With Special Reference to Their by Kellogg Speed (1916)
"The roentgen- ogram shows a displaced os capitatum with several areas of cystic degeneration, the other carpal bones appearing normal in contour and ..."
2. Contributions by University of Minnesota Dept. of Anatomy (1922)
"os capitatum and os hamatum present. Fig, 18.—Tracing of a radiogram of the wrist ... An unusually large child with the centers for the os capitatum and os ..."
3. Cunningham's Manual of Practical Anatomy by Daniel John Cunningham, Arthur Robinson (1914)
"... minus os capitatum Os hamatum OLD TERMINOLOGY. Clavicle Impression for conoid ligament Impression for rhomboid ligament Scapula Supra-scapular notch ..."