Definition of Os frontale
1. Noun. The large cranial bone forming the front part of the cranium: includes the upper part of the orbits.
Terms within: Glabella, Mesophyron, Metopion, Ophryon, Frontal Eminence
Generic synonyms: Membrane Bone
Group relationships: Braincase, Brainpan, Cranium
Medical Definition of Os frontale
1. The large single bone forming the forehead and the upper margin and roof of the orbit on either side; it articulates with the parietal, nasal, ethmoid, maxillary, and zygomatic bones, and with the lesser wings of the sphenoid. Synonym: os frontale, coronale. (05 Mar 2000)
Os Frontale Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Os Frontale Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Os Frontale
Literary usage of Os frontale
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Scientific Memoirs of Thomas Henry Huxley by Thomas Henry Huxley, Michael Foster (1902)
"... the os parietali- frontale (parietal), the os frontale anterius (frontal), the os frontale posterius ..."
2. Brookesian Museum: The Museum of Joshua Brookes ... Consists of a Collection by Joshua Brookes (1828)
"81 An interesting specimen of a calvaria, in which the anterior part of the os frontale has exfoliated to a considerable extent, leaving a concave sur- ¡. ..."
3. Textbook of Anatomy by Daniel John Cunningham (1905)
"The frontal bone (os frontale), situated in the fore part of the cranium, is a •¡¡.А- boue formed by the fusion in early life of two symmetrical halves. ..."
4. Anatomy, Descriptive and Applied by Henry Gray (1913)
"... occipitalis Angulus mastoideus Sulcus transversus os frontale Squama frontalis Facies frontalis Pars orbitalis Tuber frontale Processus zygomaticus Pars ..."