Definition of Outbye
1. Adverb. (jargon coalminers) pertaining to the direction away from the coal face. ¹
2. Adverb. A short distance away. ¹
3. Adverb. outside. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Definition of Outbye
1. outby [adv] - See also: outby
Lexicographical Neighbors of Outbye
Literary usage of Outbye
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Transactions by North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers, American Society of Civil Engineers., Gerard H. Matthes (1883)
"Here the return air acts upon the water-gauge, and it will be found, generally, that whenever that instrument registers an outbye pressure of 0'6 indi with ..."
2. Spons' Dictionary of Engineering, Civil, Mechanical, Military, and Naval by Edward Spon, Oliver Byrne (1874)
"When a set is taken outbye from any station to the shaft, the boy at one of the branch ends changes the ropes, whilst the ropes at the shaft are being ..."
3. The Mining Engineer (1908)
"Three bodies were found lying on the coal at the face deeply burned, and one (52 feet (19 metres) outbye minus a leg and arm, which were found 10 or 13 feet ..."
4. Transactions of the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical and (1915)
"The coal-dust zone outbye this was not ignited, and the pressure fell from 119 ... In the air course the coal-dust loading extended for 250 ft.; outbye this ..."
5. Modern Practice in Mining by Richard Augustine Studdert Redmayne (1914)
"... innermost stall before attacking it in the next succeeding stall further outbye, so that should the "shut" (dirt) bend on the roof and cause trouble, ..."
6. Colliery Working and Management: Comprising the Duties of a Colliery Manager by Harrison Francis Bulman, Richard Augustine Studdert Redmayne (1906)
"On the outbye side of the blower, the intake air was carried across to the ... The double doors, A and B, prevented the intake air from escaping outbye when ..."
7. Mining: An Elementary Treatise on the Getting of Minerals by Arnold Lupton (1904)
"The tubs and rope coming outbye balance the tubs and rope going ... balance tubs and rope going outbye. 182 x ? ..."