Definition of Papaver rhoeas
1. Noun. Annual European poppy common in grain fields and often cultivated.
Generic synonyms: Poppy
Group relationships: Genus Papaver, Papaver
Papaver Rhoeas Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Papaver Rhoeas Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Papaver Rhoeas
Literary usage of Papaver rhoeas
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proserpina: Studies of Wayside Flowers, While the Air was Yet Pure Among the by John Ruskin (1879)
"... CHAPTER V. papaver rhoeas. BRANTWOOD, July nth, 1875. I. /"CHANGING to take up yesterday a favourite ^-^ old book, ..."
2. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1897)
"papaver rhoeas L. Sp. Pl. 507. 1753. Erect, branching, i°-3° high, hispid with spreading bristly hairs. Lower leaves petioled, 4'-6' long, the upper smaller ..."
3. Botanical Abstracts by Board of Control of Botanical Abstracts (1920)
"Über einige genetische Versuche mit papaver rhoeas and Papaver laevigatum. [Some genetical experiments with papaver rhoeas and Papaver ..."
4. Biologisches Zentralblatt by Isidor Rosenthal, Georg Thieme (1885)
"papaver rhoeas ist heute ein gemeines Unkraut in den Feldern des untern Aegyptens, besonders des Deltas, fehlt aber in Oberägypten. ..."