Definition of Pelecanus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Pelecanidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Pelecanidae, Pelecanidae
Member holonyms: Pelecanus Erythrorhynchos, White Pelican, Old World White Pelican, Pelecanus Onocrotalus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pelecanus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pelecanus
Literary usage of Pelecanus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1899)
"\V. RICHMOND, Washington, DC pelecanus occidentalis vs. ... He divides pelecanus onocrotalus into two varieties, a. orientalis, and ß. occidentalis; ..."
2. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"pelecanus, Lin. • The Pelicans comprise all those in which the base of the bill is found to have some part destitute of feathers. ..."
3. Handbook to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1865)
"Genus pelecanus, Linnaeus. Six species of this remarkable genus of birds ... Of the members of the genus pelecanus the present may be regarded as one of the ..."
4. The Birds of America by John James] [Audubon (1844)
"... resembles that of the Pelicans, Cormorants, and Anhingas, as well as in a less degree that of the Gannets. GENUS IV.—pelecanus, Linn. PELICAN. ..."
5. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"Otherwise the type of pelecanus would be P. aquila, as Fregata is tenable as a generic ... Monotypic, with the "Fregate" = pelecanus aquilus Linn, as type. ..."
6. Annae Comnenae, Porphyrogenitae, Alexias by Anna Comnena, August Reifferscheid (1884)
"pelecanus II 91, 23. 93, 32.100, 3. 101, 16. 104, 28. 109, 2. 21. 32 Philippi I 34, 9 Philippopolis 1192, 20. 224, 19. ..."