Definition of Penal institution
1. Noun. An institution where persons are confined for punishment and to protect the public.
Specialized synonyms: Brig, Camp, Correctional Institution, Penal Colony
Group relationships: Base, Infrastructure
Generic synonyms: Institution
Penal Institution Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Penal Institution Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Penal Institution
Literary usage of Penal institution
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Judicial and Statutory Definitions of Words and Phrases by West Publishing Company (1904)
"penal institution of the state. Gen. St Conn. 1902, ! 2735. la extradition treaties. "Asylum," as used in extradition treaties, means a place where the ..."
2. The Irish Quarterly Review (1854)
"1 think that you require absolutely a penal institution, in which the punitive principle shall be carried out ; and you also require a reformatory ..."
3. Legislation on Insanity: A Collection of All the Lunacy Laws of the States by George Leib Harrison (1884)
"The physician for said prison or any penal institution «i948 °f this state shall give such medical and surgical pn>'J.af«pw"n" &id to the lunatic convicts ..."
4. Proceedings of the ... Annual Congress of Correction of the American by American Correctional Association (1889)
"That man ought not to be sent to a penal institution ; he ought to be sent to an inebriate asylum, where he can be treated medically, where he can have his ..."