Definition of Phylum Mollusca
1. Noun. Gastropods; bivalves; cephalopods; chitons.
Group relationships: Animal Kingdom, Animalia, Kingdom Animalia
Member holonyms: Mollusc, Mollusk, Shellfish, Class Scaphopoda, Scaphopoda, Class Gasteropoda, Class Gastropoda, Gasteropoda, Gastropoda, Class Polyplacophora, Polyplacophora, Bivalvia, Class Bivalvia, Class Lamellibranchia, Class Pelecypoda, Lamellibranchia, Cephalopoda, Class Cephalopoda
Generic synonyms: Phylum
Lexicographical Neighbors of Phylum Mollusca
Literary usage of Phylum Mollusca
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. College zoology by Robert William Hegner (1918)
"CHAPTER XII phylum Mollusca iM Phylum MOLLUSCA (Lat. mollis, soft) includes the snails, i «'linus, oysters, octopods, ..."
2. A Student's Text-book of Zoology by Adam Sedgwick, Joseph Jackson Lister, Arthur Everett Shipley (1898)
"CHAPTER X. phylum Mollusca.* Bilaterally symmetrical unsegmented animals, with a ventral foot, and usually with a radula, a mantle fold, and a univalve or ..."
3. Zoology: An Elementary Text-book by Arthur Everett Shipley, Ernest William MacBride (1904)
"... VIIL phylum Mollusca. MOLLUSCA (Lat. molds, soft) is the name which is given to one of the largest and most important phyla of the animal kingdom. ..."
4. A Manual of Zoology by Thomas Jeffery Parker, William Aitcheson Haswell (1905)
"SECTION XL —phylum Mollusca GROUPED together in the phylum Mollusca are a large assemblage of animals exhibiting as great a diversity in their structure as ..."