Definition of Picture show
1. Noun. A form of entertainment that enacts a story by sound and a sequence of images giving the illusion of continuous movement. "The film was shot on location"
Generic synonyms: Product, Production, Show
Terms within: Episode, Sequence, Credit, Caption, Subtitle, Credits, Scene, Shot
Specialized synonyms: Telefilm, Feature, Feature Film, Final Cut, Home Movie, Collage Film, Coming Attraction, Shoot-'em-up, Short Subject, Docudrama, Documentary, Documentary Film, Infotainment, Cinema Verite, Film Noir, Skin Flick, Rough Cut, Silent Movie, Silent Picture, Silents, Slow Motion, Talkie, Talking Picture, 3-d, 3d, Three-d, Musical, Musical Comedy, Musical Theater
Examples of category: Dub, Synchronise, Synchronize, Film, Shoot, Take, Tape, Videotape, Reshoot
Derivative terms: Film, Film
Picture Show Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Picture Show Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Picture Show
Literary usage of Picture show
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. South Eastern Reporter by West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, West Publishing Company, South Carolina Supreme Court (1920)
"ATKINSON, J. In April, 1916, HV Manning, proprietor of a moving picture show at Marietta, called "The Gem," sold the business to WA Sams under a written ..."
2. Lawyers' Reports Annotated by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company (1918)
"Opinion evidence that a Sunday picture show in the vicinity of an Army camp is a ... The operation of a moving picture show on Sunday near an Army camp is ..."
3. Annotated Cases, American and English by H Noyes Greene, William Mark McKinney, David Shephard Garland (1916)
"In one jurisdiction the view has been taken in recent cases that a moving picture show is unlawful when conducted on Sunday. Ex p. Mussett, 72 Tex. Crim. ..."
4. Sunset by Southern Pacific Company, Southern Pacific Company. Passenger Dept (1913)
"Traveling around the island of Tahiti I found no fewer than seven other picture- show houses besides the two large ones in the capital. ..."
5. The Church at Play: A Manual for Directors of Social and Recreational Life by Norman Egbert Richardson (1922)
"Baby picture show. 129. Victrola Contest. 130. "Paf'ent Questions. For additional games of this type see: Geister, Ice-Breakers, page 103. ..."