Definition of Pitch black
1. Noun. A very dark black.
Generic synonyms: Black, Blackness, Inkiness
Derivative terms: Ebonize
Pitch Black Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pitch Black Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pitch Black
Literary usage of Pitch black
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Hawthorne and His Circle by Julian Hawthorne (1903)
"... —A well-grown calf—An adventure in Monte Testaccio —A vision of death—A fantastic and saturnine genius —A pitch-black place—Illuminations and fireworks— ..."
2. Penny Cyclopaedia of the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge by Charles Knight (1843)
"... Linn., a flat beetle, four lines long, of a pitch-black colour, lound in nuts, bread, and the bark of trees : its larva is known in Provence under the ..."
3. The Entomologist's Monthly Magazine by Nathaniel Lloyd and Company (1892)
"Fore-leg pitch-black, towards the base of the femur browner ; trochanter and coxa light pitch-brown. Hinder-legs dull yellowish-amber colour, ..."
4. Entomologia Edinensis: Or A Description and History of the Insects Found in by James Wilson, James Duncan (1834)
"Head pitch-black, shining, rather narrower than the thorax, ... thorax pitch- black, glossy, impressed with two rows of punctures along the back, ..."
5. Metallurgy: The Art of Extracting Metals from Their Ores by John Percy (1875)
"Colour pitch-black; lustre fatty, here and there passing into vitreous; ... pure pitch-black ; lustre fatty ; easily rubbed to powder l>etween the fingers, ..."
6. Metallurgy: The Art of Extracting Metals from Their Ores by John Percy (1875)
"Colour pitch-black; lustre fatty, here and there passing into vitreous; fracture very uneven; ... pitch-black; lustre in the direction of the layers fatty, ..."
7. Mineralogy: An Introduction to the Study of Minerals and Crystals by Edward Henry Kraus, Walter Fred Hunt (1920)
"... pitch black bole) C—Long prismatic, prism Silky Greenish Silicate of Ca, ... rare Greasy pitch black M—Compact, granular, Translucent Brownish bladed, ..."
8. Heat Energy and Fuels: Pyrometry, Combustion, Analysis of Fuels and by Hanns Jüptner von Jonstorff, Oskar Nagel (1908)
"Compact, brittle to tough, mostly weak, black- brown to pitch black; ... Dense, conchoidal, pitch-black. So strong that it can be worked into ornaments. 12. ..."