Definition of Pocket rat
1. Noun. Any of various rodents with cheek pouches.
Specialized synonyms: Pocket Mouse, Desert Rat, Dipodomys Phillipsii, Kangaroo Rat, Dwarf Pocket Rat, Kangaroo Mouse, Gopher, Pocket Gopher, Pouched Rat
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pocket Rat
Literary usage of Pocket rat
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. California Mammals by Frank Stephens (1906)
"PANAMINT POCKET-RAT. Upper and Lower Austral, 15. 138. ... Lower Austral, 15. 140. Dipodomys californicus. CALIFORNIA PoCKET-RAT. ..."
2. Description of a New Species of Sea Snake from the Philippine Islands: With by John Van Denburgh, Joseph Cheesman Thompson (1908)
"Synonym—Santa Cruz pocket rat. Range—Upper Sonoran zone south from San Francisco Bay ... Synonym—Big pocket rat. Range—Lower Sonoran zone on west side of ..."
3. Guide to the Systematic Use of the North American Bird and Nature Study: A by Harold Brough Shinn, Gerard Alan Abbott (1912)
"pocket rat. The pocket or kangaroo rat pictured is one of several species, all inhabiting that portion of the United States from Iowa westward and southward ..."
4. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1898)
"... as well as the noxious pocket rat, or gopher, are strong proof of the practical value of economic study along these lines. ..."