Definition of Populus nigra
1. Noun. Large European poplar.
Generic synonyms: Poplar, Poplar Tree
Specialized synonyms: Lombardy Poplar, Populus Nigra Italica
Lexicographical Neighbors of Populus Nigra
Literary usage of Populus nigra
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Journal of Heredity by American Genetic Association (1916)
"The European species, populus nigra, is distinguished from the American tree, Populus deltoidea, by the absence of cilia (tiny projecting hairs) on the ..."
2. English Botany; Or, Coloured Figures of British Plants, with Their Essential ...by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby by Sir James Edward Smith, James Sowerby (1801)
"Seeds downy. SPEC. CHAR. Leaves deltoid, pointed, serrated, smooth on both sides. Catkins cylindrical, lax. Stigmas four. SYN. populus nigra. Linn. Sp. PI. ..."
3. Our woodland trees by Francis George Heath (1878)
"populus nigra. PLATE 5, FIG. 2. ... notices of the peculiarities which distinguish their subjects from each other and from populus nigra. ..."
4. The Forester =: Or, A Practical Treatise on the Planting, Rearing, and by James Brown (1882)
"The sorts which are most worthy of our notice here are the black poplar, Populus nigra; the abele-tree, or white poplar, Populus alba; the grey poplar, ..."