Definition of Psittacidae
1. Noun. Coextensive with the order Psittaciformes.
Generic synonyms: Bird Family
Group relationships: Order Psittaciformes, Psittaciformes
Member holonyms: Genus Psittacus, Psittacus, Amazona, Genus Amazona, Ara, Genus Ara, Genus Nestor, Nestor, Cacatua, Genus Cacatua, Genus Kakatoe, Kakatoe, Genus Nymphicus, Nymphicus, Agapornis, Genus Agapornis, Loriinae, Subfamily Loriinae, Conuropsis, Genus Conuropsis, Genus Melopsittacus, Melopsittacus, Genus Psittacula, Psittacula
Lexicographical Neighbors of Psittacidae
Literary usage of Psittacidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and (1910)
"... like those of the parrot (psittacidae) and woodpecker (Picus), are particularly noticeable in every wooded region of the country. ..."
2. The Bird Book: Illustrating in Natural Colors More Than Seven Hundred North by Chester Albert Reed (1914)
"Family psittacidae 382. CAROLINA PAROQUET. Range.—Now rare In Florida and along the Gulf coast to Indian Territory. As late as 1885, the Carolina Paroquets ..."
3. Memoirs of Hugh Edwin Strickland by Hugh Edwin Strickland, William Jardine (1858)
"Another and a more complete monograph of the psittacidae, ... Lear's ' Illustrations of the psittacidae,' 1832, is intended as supplementary to Levaillant's ..."
4. English Coloured Books by Martin Hardie (1906)
"Notable among the early lithograph illustrations coloured entirely by hand is Edward Lear's Illustrations of the Family of psittacidae or Parrots, ..."