Definition of Rig up
1. Verb. Erect or construct, especially as a temporary measure. "Can he rig up a P.A. system?"
Rig Up Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Rig Up Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rig Up
|rift valley fever virus|
rig up (current term)
Literary usage of Rig up
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Screw-cutting Lathe: How to Select, Set Up, Adjust and Operate by James Francis Hobart (1907)
"For finishing or polishing irregular surfaces, the smith may with little expense rig up some buffing wheels, which, supplemented with "rag" wheels, ..."
2. The Journal of the Canadian Mining Institute by Canadian Mining Institute (1904)
"It is generally the quickest and easiest, however, to rig up horizontally and drill all the upper holes, and then tear down and rig up again for the lower ..."
3. St. Nicholas by Mary Mapes Dodge (1887)
"You fellers stay here while I go down to Nat Taylor's, an' I '11 rig up ... I '11 rig up a counter—jest like the counters they have in hotels— in the entry ..."
4. The English Illustrated Magazine (1898)
"Mind, I 've a tale to' rig up to her before we gets to Dead Injun. ... T. We shall have to rig up a yarn as he died noble a week or two agone amid the tears ..."
5. Recreation by George O. Shields, American Canoe Association, League of American Sportsmen (1902)
"If you will rig up a chub for me your way, we'll try our ... You rig up a bait your way. and on our way back I will do just as you direct. ..."
6. A Dictionary of Slang, Jargon & Cant: Embracing English, American, and Anglo by Albert Barrère, Charles Godfrey Leland (1890)
"(Popular), "to rig out," "to rig up," to dress. From a sea phrase. ... Tom and I sent out all our own clothes to pawn, so as to rig up a seedy toff (handle ..."
7. The American Annual of Photography (1907)
"where it is dead easy to rig up the camera, for we are on level ground, ... Again we rig up our camera and burn some more powder, the result being a good ..."