Definition of Rose-colored pastor
1. Noun. Glossy black bird with pink back and abdomen; chiefly Asian.
Generic synonyms: Starling
Group relationships: Pastor, Subgenus Pastor
Lexicographical Neighbors of Rose-colored Pastor
Literary usage of Rose-colored pastor
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"The name derived from the Latin pastor, shepherd, is due to their habit of congregating around sheep folds. The beautiful rose-colored pastor (P. roseus) is ..."
2. The Americana: A Universal Reference Library, Comprising the Arts and ...by Frederick Converse Beach, George Edwin Rines by Frederick Converse Beach, George Edwin Rines (1912)
"The rose-colored pastor (P. roseus) is the only European specimen, and, being a good singer, is a favorite cage-bird. Its plumage is generally of a ..."
3. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1903)
"... the rose- colored pastor, or rose-starling (Pastor roseus), glossy black, with pink back and abdomen, is occasionally seen (sometimes in vast flocks) ..."
4. Library of Universal Knowledge: A Reprint of the Last (1880) Edinburgh and (1881)
"is very generally known as the water ouzel; and the rose-colored pastor is also called the rose-colored ouzel. OVAL, the name given to the figure presented ..."
5. The International Cyclopedia: A Compendium of Human Knowledge, Rev. with by Selim Hobart Peabody, Charles Francis Richardson (1898)
"The name pastor is supposed to be derived from their being frequently seen with flocks of sheep. The only European species is the rose-colored pastor, ..."
6. Winston's Cumulative Loose-leaf Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Reference Workby Thomas Edward Finegan by Thomas Edward Finegan (1922)
"Pastor (pas'tur), a genus of birds belonging to the starling family, found in the north of Africa, Syria, and India. The rose-colored pastor (P. ro- ..."