Definition of Salad burnet
1. Noun. European garden herb with purple-tinged flowers and leaves that are sometimes used for salads.
Generic synonyms: Herb, Herbaceous Plant
Group relationships: Genus Poterium, Poterium
2. Noun. Leaves sometimes used for salad.
Group relationships: Burnet Bloodwort, Pimpernel, Poterium Sanguisorba
Salad Burnet Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Salad Burnet Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Salad Burnet
Literary usage of Salad burnet
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Wild flowers by Anne Pratt (1852)
"On chalk cliffs, both those which tower above the shore, and which skirt the green lanes of England, the salad burnet is very general, though it is not ..."
2. Flowers and Their Pedigrees by Grant Allen (1883)
"The salad-burnet loves dry and wind-swept pastures or rocky hill-sides, ... Perhaps it may be asked, How do I know that the salad-burnet is not descended ..."
3. The Plants by Grant Allen (1902)
"In salad-burnet, however, the division of the sexes into separate flowers has not become a quite fixed habit; for, though most of the blossoms are either ..."
4. Popular field botany: Containing a Familiar and Technical Description of the by Agnes Catlow (1848)
"Common salad burnet. A very pretty plant growing in chalky pastures, ... It derives its name of salad burnet, from the leaves smelling and tasting like ..."