Definition of Seychelles
1. Noun. A republic on the Seychelles islands; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1976.
Generic synonyms: Country, Land, State
Group relationships: Seychelles Islands
Terms within: Capital Of Seychelles, Victoria
Member holonyms: Seychellois
2. Noun. A group of about 90 islands in the western Indian Ocean to the north of Madagascar.
Terms within: Republic Of Seychelles
Group relationships: Indian Ocean
Generic synonyms: Island
Definition of Seychelles
1. Proper noun. Country in East Africa. Official name: Republic of Seychelles. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Medical Definition of Seychelles
1. A group of indian ocean islands, east of tanzania. Their capital is victoria. They were first claimed by the french in 1744 but taken by the english in 1794 and made a dependency of mauritius in 1810. They became a crown colony in 1903 and a republic within the commonwealth in 1976. They were named for the french finance minister, jean moreau de sechelles, but respelled by the english in 1794. (12 Dec 1998)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Seychelles Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Seychelles
seychelles (current term)
Literary usage of Seychelles
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Nature by Norman Lockyer (1878)
"THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 29, 1877 FLORA OF MAURITIUS AND seychelles Flora of Mauritius and the seychelles : a Description of the Flowering Plants and Ferns of ..."
2. The Ibis by British Ornithologists' Union (1897)
"We have now a complete report upon the specimens of birds collected by Dr. WL Abbott, of Philadelphia, on the seychelles and other islands of the Indian ..."
3. Official Catalogue of the British Section by Great Britain (1876)
"The island of Rodrigues, the seychelles Islands, Diego Garcia, and others, ... 67 varieties of seychelles Woods, in vertical sections of 6 inches each ..."
4. Report of the Annual Meeting (1869)
"E. PERCEVAL WEIGHT, И.О., FLS, The seychelles group lie in the Indian Ocean, ... The language spoken in seychelles is French, but very curiously corrupted ..."
5. A Historical Geography of the British Colonies by Charles Prestwood Lucas (1906)
"The colony of seychelles consists of these islands, forty-five in number, and of the Amirantes (including the African Banks, the St. Joseph group, ..."
6. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain) (1907)
"THE seychelles archipelago consists of twenty-nine islands, situated about ... This paper deals with the seychelles in other aspects to the same author's ..."