Definition of Sports meeting
1. Noun. A meeting at which a number of athletic contests are held.
Terms within: Track And Field
Generic synonyms: Athletic Competition, Athletic Contest, Athletics
Specialized synonyms: Gymkhana, Race Meeting, Regatta, Swim Meet, Swimming Meet, Track Meet
Derivative terms: Meet, Meet
Sports Meeting Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Sports Meeting Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Sports Meeting
Literary usage of Sports meeting
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Report by New South Wales Dept. of Education (1902)
"The regular sports meeting was held in October, and proved a marked success, for which the teachers and pupils, who worked with zeal and self-denial, ..."
2. The Hill Tribes of Fiji: A Record of Forty Years' Intimate Connection with by Adolph Brewster Brewster (1922)
"One Boxing Day there was a sports meeting held at Levuka, and a fight occurred between ... There was to be another sports meeting at Suva on New Year's Day, ..."
3. St. Mary's Hospital Gazette by St. Mary's Hospital (London, England) (1904)
"Of the Hospital sports meeting our report will be found elsewhere, ... We had an old-fashioned idea that the Hospital held a sports meeting with the view of ..."
4. Report by Birmingham (England) Education Committee, City of Birmingham Education Committee (1907)
"EFM MacCarthy, the School was granted the use of the Five Ways Grammar School Playing Field for the purpose of holding an Athletic sports meeting on July ..."
5. Report by New South Wales Dept. of Education (1900)
"While classes for male and female teachers were carried on weekly for a lengthy period in preparation for the Annual sports meeting, I have r.ot been able ..."
6. Baily's Magazine of Sports and Pastimes (1869)
"In our view, then, the Public School Athletic sports meeting should receive from masters and parents every encouragement, as directly tending to bring into ..."