Definition of Stay away
1. Verb. Stay clear of, avoid. "Keep your distance from this man--he is dangerous"
Generic synonyms: Be
Stay Away Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Stay Away Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Stay Away
Literary usage of Stay away
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Curiosities of Popular Customs and of Rites, Ceremonies, Observances, and by William Shepard Walsh (1897)
"Oh, my God, gwine ter rain down brimstone an' fire, 1 can't stay away. Gwine ter walk on dat glass all mingled wid fire, I can't stay away ; Lord, ..."
2. Appletons' Annual Cyclopædia and Register of Important Events of the Year (1883)
"one to two dollars to any citizen who will stay away from town meeting ! Let, therefore, a nominal poll-tax for State purposes be assessed as now on the ..."
3. The American and English Encyclopedia of Law by John Houston Merrill, Charles Frederic Williams, Thomas Johnson Michie, David Shephard Garland (1890)
"Nor is it definitely settled how long a person may stay away entirely from an inn without ceasing to be a guest.1 town house. And it would certainly be ..."
4. Memorials and Correspondence of Charles James Fox by Charles James Fox (1854)
"... after the proposition for reform, we might fairly enough stay away, considering the preceding events of the Session and the behaviour of Parliament upon ..."