Definition of Tonsilla
1. Noun. Either of two masses of lymphatic tissue one on each side of the oral pharynx.
Generic synonyms: Lymphatic Tissue, Lymphoid Tissue
Group relationships: Nasopharynx
Medical Definition of Tonsilla
1. Synonym: palatine tonsil. Origin: L. (see tonsil) (05 Mar 2000)
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Tonsilla Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Tonsilla
Literary usage of Tonsilla
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Treatment of syphilis with subcutaneous sublimate injections by Georg Richard Lewin (1872)
"... anatomists) a glandular, fold-like, elevated mass, in some individuals in the neighborhood of the septum narium. This mass I wish to name tonsilla pha- ..."
2. An Atlas of Human Anatomy for Students and Physicians: For Students and by Carl Toldt (1904)
"Velum palatinum Tonsil (amygdala) tonsilla palatina Cartilage of the external auditory meatus Cartilago meatus auditorii externi "•--. ..."
3. Contributions to Latin Lexicography by Henry Nettleship (1889)
"The base may be los- or lor- which occurs also in tor-us and perhaps tur-geo, and means to swell. It is difficult to see how tonsilla (dim. of ..."
4. Anatomical Names by Albert Chauncey Eycleshymer, Daniel Martin Schoemaker, Roy Lee Moodie, Wilhelm His (1917)
"... tonsilla lingualis Glándula thyreoidea Glándula suprarenalis Hypophysis The suggestion met only with divided approval. As matters were standing the ..."
5. An Etymological Dictionary of the English Language by Walter William Skeat (1893)
"Lat. tonsilla, a sharp pointed pole stuck in the ground to fasten vessels to the shore ; pi. tonsilla, the tonsils. The TONIGHT, this night. ..."