Definition of Turn back
1. Verb. Retrace one's course. "The hikers got into a storm and had to turn back"
2. Verb. Go back to a previous state. "We reverted to the old rules"
Specialized synonyms: Fall Back, Lapse, Recidivate, Regress, Relapse, Retrogress, Resile, Go Back, Recover, Recuperate
Generic synonyms: Change By Reversal, Reverse, Turn
Derivative terms: Regress, Regression, Retroversion, Return, Reversion, Reversive, Reverting
3. Verb. Force to go away; used both with concrete and metaphoric meanings. "The supermarket had to turn back many disappointed customers"
Specialized synonyms: Frighten, Fire, Clear The Air, Banish, Shoo, Shoo Away, Shoo Off
Generic synonyms: Displace, Move
Related verbs: Drive Out, Force Out, Rouse, Rout Out
4. Verb. Hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of. "Turn back the tide of communism"
Specialized synonyms: Cut Down, Cut Out
Generic synonyms: Defend
Derivative terms: Containment, Containment, Stop
5. Verb. Turn inside out or upside down.
Generic synonyms: Alter, Change, Modify
Derivative terms: Inversion, Inversion, Inverter, Reversal, Reversal, Reverse, Reversible
Definition of Turn back
1. Verb. (intransitive) To reverse direction and retrace one's steps. ¹
2. Verb. To return to a previous state of being. ¹
3. Verb. (transitive) To prevent or refuse to allow passage or progress. ¹
4. Verb. (transitive) To adjust to a previous setting. ¹
5. Verb. (transitive) To fold something back; to fold down ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Turn Back
Literary usage of Turn back
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A General Collection of the Best and Most Interesting Voyages and Travels in by John Pinkerton (1814)
"... running after me, and calling out to me to turn back. I flopped until they were all come up ; when they informed me that the King of the ..."
2. The New Testament of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ by American Committee of Revision (1881)
"... I will turn back unto my house 25 whence I came out. Arid when 'he is come, ... turn back ..."
3. The Bookman (1907)
"We find it rather gratifying to turn back to that prediction. Miss Gale has become one of the most ZONA GALE ..."
4. Works by Washington Irving (1895)
"... and a Robbery— Indian Cure for Cowardice—The Despatch Party turn back—Meet Crooks and John Day—Indian Perfidy—Arrival at Astoria. AS the spring opened, ..."