Definition of Erythrina crista-galli
1. Noun. Small South American spiny tree with dark crimson and scarlet flowers solitary or clustered.
Generic synonyms: Coral Tree, Erythrina
Erythrina Crista-galli Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Erythrina Crista-galli Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Erythrina Crista-galli
Literary usage of Erythrina crista-galli
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Curtis's Botanical Magazine, Or, Flower-garden Displayed by John Sims (1820)
"ERYTHRINA CRISTA GALLI. ... Indeed it appears to us not altogether certain that this is the ERYTHRINA Crista-galli of Linnaeus. It agrees in most respects ..."
2. The Magazine of Horticulture, Botany, and All Useful Discoveries and by C M Hovey (1836)
"On the Propagation and Management of the Erythrina Crista galli. By JAPHET. GENTLEMEN : THE season will soon be at hand, when the gardener will be busily ..."
3. The Gardener's Magazine and Register of Rural and Domestic Improvement by J C Loudon (1827)
"V. Hints for cultivating Fuchsia gracilis, Erythrina ' Crista galli, ... Erythrina Crista galli. Of this truly splendid plant, there ought to be at least ..."
4. The Floricultural Cabinet, and Florists Magazine by Joseph Harrison (1851)
"Now this kind of treatment with the Erythrina crista-galli injures it, tending to check the growth of the spikes of flowers, and they are thus cramped and ..."