Definition of Genus Zygnema
1. Noun. Type genus of the family Zygnemataceae.
Generic synonyms: Protoctist Genus
Group relationships: Family Zygnemataceae, Zygnemataceae
Genus Zygnema Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Zygnema Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Zygnema
Literary usage of Genus Zygnema
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1845)
"Species 41 of the genus Zygnema is Z. dubium (Hass. ... call attention to the excellent mode in which he has divided that same genus Zygnema into sections, ..."
2. British Fresh-water Algae, Exclusive of Desmidieae and Diatomaceae by Mordecai Cubitt Cooke (1882)
"... he seems to recognise this as a distinct and veritable species of Zygnema, according to his interpretation of that genus. Zygnema parvulum. ..."
3. On the Morphology of the Coniferae by Joseph Gerhard Zuccarini, George Busk (1846)
"Observations on the genus Zygnema, He divides the species of this genus into two sections; in the one are the cells which have attained their maturity ..."
4. The American Naturalist by American Society of Naturalists, Essex Institute (1877)
"In the genus Zygnema, quite closely related to the Spirogyra, the spores often do not form in either of the cells, but remain in the enlarged centre of the ..."