Definition of Genus Zingiber
1. Noun. Tropical Asiatic and Polynesian perennial plants: ginger.
Generic synonyms: Liliopsid Genus, Monocot Genus
Group relationships: Family Zingiberaceae, Ginger Family, Zingiberaceae
Member holonyms: Ginger
Genus Zingiber Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Zingiber Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Zingiber
Literary usage of Genus Zingiber
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Chambers's Encyclopædia: A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge for the People (1878)
"The genus A. was formerly more extensive, and included species now forming the genus Zingiber (see ..."
2. Pamphlets on Forestry in the Philippine Islands (1903)
"Genus ZINGIBER ZINGIBER OFFICINALE Bosc. GINGER. Local names: Agdt (Pangasinan) ; gengibre (Spanish) ; luya (Pam- panga) ; layd (Abra, Ilocos Norte and Sur, ..."
3. Odorographia: A Natural History of Raw Materials and Drugs Used in the by John Charles Sawer (1894)
"Plants, t. 270 ; Pereira, Mat. Med., ii, Pt. L, p. 231). The genus Zingiber consists of herbaceous Indian plants, with creeping, jointed, ..."
4. North Pacific Pilot by William Henry Rosser (1870)
"The genus Zingiber has at least one representative. Of the Musa (banana) there are many" varieties—neither Malabar nor Sumatra can boast of more. ..."