Definition of Genus Zonotrichia
1. Noun. Large New World sparrows.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Fringillidae, Fringillidae
Member holonyms: White-throated Sparrow, Whitethroat, Zonotrichia Albicollis, White-crowned Sparrow, Zonotrichia Leucophrys
Genus Zonotrichia Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Zonotrichia Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Zonotrichia
Literary usage of Genus Zonotrichia
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"genus Zonotrichia. Zonotrichia SWAINSON. Faun. Bor.-Am., II, 1831 (Feb. 1832), 254 (first mentioned). 493 (diagnosis and mention of "types"). ..."
2. Check-list of North American Birds by American Ornithologists' Union (1910)
"... winters from northern California and southern Texas through Lower California and southern Mexico to Guatemala. genus Zonotrichia SWAINSON. ..."
3. The Code of Nomenclature and Check-list of North American Birds Adopted by by American Ornithologists' Union (1886)
"genus Zonotrichia SWAINSON. Zonotrichia SWAINS. FBA II. 1831, 493. Type, by elimination, Emberiza leucophrys FORST. 553. Zonotrichia querula (Nun.). ..."
4. The Birds of Eastern North America Known to Occur East of the Nineteenth by Charles Barney Cory, Field Museum of Natural History (1899)
"Lark Finch. From Illinois and Michigan westward to the plains; not common on Atlantic coast. genus Zonotrichia. SWAINS. 421 (553) ZONOTRICHIA QUERULA. ..."