Definition of Genus pooecetes
1. Noun. A genus of Fringillidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Fringillidae, Fringillidae
Member holonyms: Grass Finch, Pooecetes Gramineus, Vesper Sparrow
Genus Pooecetes Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Genus Pooecetes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Genus Pooecetes
Literary usage of Genus pooecetes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Natural History of Secession by Thomas Shepard Goodwin (1865)
"The genus pooecetes has the bill rather large, wings long and pointed, the second and third quills longest, tail short, forked, stiff, and its feathers ..."
2. Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio by Geological Survey of Ohio (1882)
"genus pooecetes. Baird. Bill rather large; upper outline slightly decurved towards the end, lower straight. Wings unusually long and pointed, ..."
3. Natural History: A Manual of Zoology for Schools, Colleges, and the General by Sanborn Tenney (1872)
"... The genus pooecetes has the bill rather large, wings long and pointed, the second and third quills longest, tail short, forked, stiff, and its feathers ..."
4. Key to North American Birds: Containing a Concise Account of Every Species by Elliott Coues (1872)
"Genus POOECETES Baird. «*—'' Bay-winged Bunting. Grass Finch. Thickly streaked everywhere above, \V on sides and across breast; no yellow anywhere ; lesser ..."