Definition of Haussa
1. Noun. A member of a Negroid people living chiefly in northern Nigeria.
2. Noun. The chief member of the Chadic family of Afroasiatic languages; widely used as a trading language.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Haussa Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Haussa
Literary usage of Haussa
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Researches Into the Physical History of Mankind by James Cowles Prichard (1844)
"A slight survey of the haussa vocabulary, delivered by Mr. Schb'n, ... The only thing here worth noticing is the tendency of the haussa to elide final ..."
2. The Standard Library of Natural History: Embracing Living Animals of Thw by Charles John Cornish (1908)
"THE haussa. The haussa are essentially a nation of traders; ... The haussa language has been studied by many workers, including Dr. Rat and Dr. Schon, ..."
3. Macmillan's Magazine by David Masson, George Grove, John Morley, Mowbray Morris (1903)
"IN the haussa States, up the Niger River, there are two Peoples. ... Wherever the haussa - is, there also is the Fulani; wherever the Fulani is, ..."