Definition of Phaseolus vulgaris
1. Noun. The common annual twining or bushy bean plant grown for its edible seeds or pods.
Terms within: Common Bean
Group relationships: Genus Phaseolus, Phaseolus
Generic synonyms: Bush Bean
Specialized synonyms: Frijol, Frijole, Kidney Bean, Green Bean, Wax Bean
Phaseolus Vulgaris Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Phaseolus Vulgaris Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Phaseolus Vulgaris
Literary usage of Phaseolus vulgaris
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Plant World by Plant World Association, Wild Flower Preservation Society (U.S.) (1919)
"... and Helianthus annuus Equisetum fluviatile and phaseolus vulgaris (2) Equisetum hyemale and Helianthus annuus Equisetum hyemale and phaseolus vulgaris ..."
2. Origin of Cultivated Plants by Alphonse de Candolle (1886)
"The name lubia is used by the Berbers, unchanged, and by the Spaniards as alubia for the common haricot, phaseolus vulgaris. Although Phaseolus and Dolichos ..."
3. The Microscopy of Vegetable Foods: With Special Reference to the Detection by Andrew Lincoln Winton, Josef Moeller, Kate Grace Barber Winton (1916)
"... breadth and thickness varies greatly in the different FIG. 186. Common Bean (phaseolus vulgaris). Cross section of outer portion of seed. ..."
4. Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal, Exhibiting a View of the Progressive by Robert Jameson, Sir William Jardine, Henry D Rogers (1862)
"phaseolus vulgaris, 5 specs. Lablab vulgaris, 3 Phaseolus Mungo, 2 specs. ... phaseolus vulgaris, L. (French bean, gardeners.) Single bean of native Four ..."
5. Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden by New York Botanical Garden (1908)
"FIGURES E and F of the same PLATE (2) show cross-sections of the hypocotyl of the bean (phaseolus vulgaris}, F oi a control plant, E of a plant exposed ..."
6. Gene Expression in Horticultural Crops: Bibliography January 1991-October 1992 by Robert D. Warmbrodt (1995)
"Language: English Descriptors: phaseolus vulgaris; ... (EC 184.108.40.206) in the French bean phaseolus vulgaris L. is encoded by a small gene family consisting ..."