Definition of Castoroides
1. Noun. Extinct beavers of the Pleistocene; of eastern and southern United States.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Castoridae, Family Castoridae
Lexicographical Neighbors of Castoroides
Literary usage of Castoroides
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The American Geologist by Newton Horace Winchell (1893)
"In the Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History, Nov., 1890, appeared an article concerning a skeleton of the "Great Fossil Beaver," Castoroides ..."
2. Catalogue of the New York State Library: 1855: General Library by New York State Library (1856)
"On the Geological Position of the Castoroides ohioensis ; also, —— Address, Harvard Natural History. Society, Cambridge, 1848. Pam. vol. ..."
3. Reports and Papers by Iowa Geological Survey (1914)
"Castoroides ohioensis Foster. The Giant Beaver. The first account of this remarkable animal, accompanied by a scientific name, was published by the ..."
4. Iowa Geological Survey: Report (1914)
"... Castoroides ohioensis Foster. The Giant Beaver. The first account of this remarkable animal, accompanied by a scientific name, was published by the ..."