Definition of Evans
1. Noun. United States anatomist who identified four pituitary hormones and discovered vitamin E (1882-1971).
2. Noun. British archaeologist who excavated the palace of Knossos in Crete to find what he called Minoan civilization (1851-1941).
Definition of Evans
1. Proper noun. (surname patronymic from=Welsh dot=) common in Wales, derived from the given name Evan (or Ifan in (etyl cy en)). ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Evans Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Evans
Literary usage of Evans
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Pennsylvania Archives by Pennsylvania Dept. of Public Instruction, Pennsylvania State Library (1876)
"Evans, Jonathan, and Mary Matthias 1764, Nov. 19. Evans, Jonathan ... Evans, Joshua, and Mary Thomas. 1775, April 8. Evans, Levi, and Susannah Barton. ..."
2. Dictionary of national biography by Leslie Stephen, Sidney Lee (1901)
"But it is as a preacher that Dr. Evans •was chiefly celebrated : indeed, ... Evans died on 30 Dec. 1896 at Bangor, and was buried there on 4 Jan. in the ..."
3. Ireland: Its Scenery, Character, &c.by Samuel Carter Hall by Samuel Carter Hall (1843)
"Evans . . Smith . . Vizetelly Miss Cook Miss Clarke Jackson Miss Clarke Miss Cook . ... Evans The drawings on the wood MC chiefly by Mr. Fairholt, ..."
4. United States Supreme Court Reports by Lawyers Co-operative Publishing Company, United States Supreme Court (1904)
"The case made by the bill is this: On the 13th day of April, 1891, Hiram Evans, a resident of St. Francis county, Arkansas, died intestate and possessed of ..."
5. Reports of Cases Argued and Determined in the Courts of Exchequer by Roger Meeson, Great Britain Court of Exchequer, William Newland Welsby, Great Britain Court of Exchequer Chamber (1843)
"Evans and Others. A challenge to 1 HIS was an action of assumpsit for rent payable in re- tile poU/ ought spect of the use and occupation of certain market ..."
6. Supreme Court Reporter by Robert Desty, United States Supreme Court, West Publishing Company (1909)
"The judgments were ren- ,j dered upon claims against the estate of Hi- • 'James Evans was appointed administrator of the estate. Among the assets which came ..."