Definition of Kauai
1. Noun. An island of Hawaii to the northwest of Oahu.
Group relationships: Hawaiian Islands, Sandwich Islands
Generic synonyms: Island
Definition of Kauai
1. Proper noun. The fourth largest island of Hawaii. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Kauai Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Kauai
Literary usage of Kauai
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Report by United States Board on Geographic Names, United States Geographic Board (1916)
""Waimea; District, Kauai County, political subdivision in southwestern Kauai. ~Waimea; Ditch, diverting water from Waimea River, about 4 miles above its ..."
2. An Account of the Polynesian Race: Its Origins and Migrations, and the by Abraham Fornander, John F. G. Stokes (1880)
"Kauai. The last portion of the ancient history of Kauai, from the time of ... The indigenous Kauai folklore of this period was singularly obscured and ..."
3. The Journal of the Polynesian Society by Polynesian Society (N.Z.) (1893)
"Kauai— Great Kauai inherited from ancestors, 100 Besting in the shelter of Waianae. Kaena is a cape, Kahuku a point covered with hala, Kaala a mountain-back ..."
4. Annual Report by Hawaiian Evangelical Association (1910)
"This shows itself in increased benevolence, the Kauai churches having undertaken to raise ... Hanalei, formerly one of the most populous districts on Kauai, ..."
5. The American Cyclopaedia: A Popular Dictionary of General Knowledge by Charles Anderson Dana (1874)
"Kauai, the principal K W. island of the Hawaiian group, in lat. ... Kauai has a larger proportion of arable land than any other of the Hawaiian islands, ..."
6. The Indigenous Trees of the Hawaiian Islands by Joseph Francis Charles Rock (1913)
"It inhabits the drier districts of Kauai at an elevation of 3000 to 4000 feet, is light-loving and therefore mostly found on the outskirts of the forests. ..."