Definition of Lonicera xylosteum
1. Noun. Cultivated Eurasian shrub with twin yellowish-white flowers and scarlet fruit.
Group relationships: Genus Lonicera, Lonicera
Generic synonyms: Honeysuckle
Lonicera Xylosteum Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lonicera Xylosteum Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lonicera Xylosteum
Literary usage of Lonicera xylosteum
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. An Illustrated Flora of the Northern United States: Canada and the British by Nathaniel Lord Britton, Addison Brown (1898)
"Lonicera xylosteum L. Sp. PI. 174. 1753. A shrub, 3°-7° high, the foliage densely ap- pressed-pubescent when young. Leaves ovate, oval, or obovate, entire, ..."
2. Trees: A Handbook of Forest-botany for the Woodlands and the Laboratory by Harry Marshall Ward, Percy Groom (1904)
"Erect shrub, not twining. Leaves dark green above, soft and velvety, especially on the paler grey-green under- Fig. 56. Fly Honeysuckle, Lonicera xylosteum, ..."
3. A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica by John Henry Clarke (1902)
"Lonicera xylosteum. Lonicera xylosteum. Fly Woodbine. NO Caprifoliaceae. Tritura- tion or tincture of berries. Clinical.—Coma vigil. Convulsions. ..."
4. Bulletin of the Geological Institutions of the University of Uppsala by Geologiska institutionen, Mineralogisk-geologiska institutionen, Uppsala universitet (1908)
"Here and there on the moistened mountain walls there grows a multitude of plants such as Lactuca muralis. Viburnum of nl us, Lonicera xylosteum. ..."