Definition of Lophodytes
1. Noun. A genus of Merginae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Merginae, Subfamily Merginae
Member holonyms: Hooded Merganser, Hooded Sheldrake, Lophodytes Cucullatus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lophodytes Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lophodytes
Literary usage of Lophodytes
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Birds of New England and Adjacent States: Containing Descriptions of the by Edward Augustus Samuels (1883)
"Lophodytes cucullatus, Reichart. Syst. Av. (1852). DESCRIPTION. Head with an elongated, compressed, semicircular crest; anterior extremity of nostril ..."
2. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1907)
"An exact synonym of Mergus Linn. 1758, containing the same four species and nothing else. Genus Lophodytes. Lophodytes REICHENBACH, Syst. Av., 1852, p. ix. ..."
3. Handbook of Birds of the Western United States: Including the Great Plains by Florence Merriam Bailey (1921)
"Lophodytes cucullatus (Linn.). HOODED MERGANSER. Adult mule. — Head, neck, and back black; middle of crest and under parts, white; sides light brown, ..."
4. Report on the Birds of Pennsylvania: With Special Reference to the Food by Pennsylvania Ornithologist, Benjamin Harry Warren (1890)
"Lophodytes cucullatus (Lira.). Hooded Merganser. DESCRIPTION (Plate, S). Nostrils rather long and narrow ; frontal feathers extend beyond those on sides of ..."