Definition of Lophius
1. Noun. Type genus of family Lophiidae.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Lophiidae, Lophiidae
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lophius Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lophius
Literary usage of Lophius
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Catalogue of the Fishes in the British Museum by Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1861)
"LOPHIUs. Head compressed. Three dorsal spines, the two posterior of which are connected ... Lophius, Artedi, Genera, p. 62. Head exceedingly large, broad, ..."
2. Catalogue of the Fishes in the British Museum by Albert Carl Ludwig Gotthilf Günther (1861)
"Lophius. Lophius, Artedi, Genera, p. 62. Head exceedingly large, broad, and depressed; cleft of the mouth exceedingly wide; jaws and palate armed with ..."
3. Annals and Magazine of Natural History by William Jardine (1861)
"... with the exception of Magas, have species, though not the same, in other provinces. XXI.—On the Immature State of the Sea-devil (Lophius ..."
4. Winners in Life's Race, Or, The Great Backboned Family by Arabella Burton Buckley (1882)
"... and plays about in the water ; while above his head and back the spines of his fin stand up quite separate, and the front one * Lophius piscatorius. ..."
5. Edinburgh New Philosophical Journal (1862)
"The skull of a Lophius and tunny, which I have before me, are both the same length—nine inches. The occipital segment of the tunny, measuring from the ..."