Definition of Lowell
1. Noun. United States poet (1917-1977).
2. Noun. United States astronomer whose studies of Mars led him to conclude that Mars was inhabited (1855-1916).
3. Noun. United States poet (1874-1925).
4. Noun. United States educator and president of Harvard University (1856-1943).
Definition of Lowell
1. Proper noun. (surname from=Middle English dot=), variant of Lovell. ¹
2. Proper noun. (surnames male given name) transferred from the surname. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lowell Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lowell
Literary usage of Lowell
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Cambridge History of American Literature by William Peterfield Trent (1918)
"Merrill, GB James Russell Lowell: A Paper read at the annual dinner [of the] Harvard Club of ... Lowell and his Spanish Friends; with an Unpublished Poem. ..."
2. Transactions by National Association of Cotton Manufacturers, New England Cotton Manufacturers' Association, Institution of Public Health Engineers (Great Britain) (1900)
"Lowell Franklin Allen Boott Mills. Lowell George E. Ames Lawrence ... Lowell Machine Shop. Lowell WW Carey Machinery and Pulley Manufacturer. ..."
3. Technology Review by Massachusetts Institute of Technology Association of Class Secretaries, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Alumni Association (1899)
"PERCIVAL Lowell Death of the noted astronomer for many years a member of the Corporation ... The passing on of Percival Lowell—November 12, 1916—marks the ..."
4. The Encyclopedia Americana: A Library of Universal Knowledge (1919)
"She was the first wife of James Russell Lowell, whom she married in 1844. ... The death of Mrs. Lowell, occurring the same night that a child was born to ..."
5. American Literature by Alphonso Gerald Newcomer (1906)
"With James Russell Lowell, whose birth fell on the twenty-second ot February, ... But Lowell began his work so early and was so closely associated with the ..."
6. The Quarterly Review by John Gibson Lockhart, George Walter Prothero, William Gifford, Sir John Taylor Coleridge, Whitwell Elwin, William Macpherson, Baron Rowland Edmund Prothero Ernle, Sir William Smith (1902)
"By MA Lawrence Lowell. (Proceedings of Massachusetts Historical Society, 1896.) 3. ... James Russell Lowell and his friends. By Edward Everett Hale. ..."
7. Index of Economic Material in Documents of the States of the United States by Adelaide Rosalia Hasse (1908)
"Remonstrance of Middlesex Canal Co. agst. rr from Boston to Lowell. ... Rept. of committee on rwys. and canals on petition of Boston and Lowell RR for ..."