Definition of Lower California
1. Noun. A mountainous peninsula on northwest Mexico.
Geographical relationships: Akwa'ala
Group relationships: Mexico, United Mexican States
Terms within: Tijuana
Generic synonyms: Peninsula
Lower California Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Lower California Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Lower California
Literary usage of Lower California
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciencesby California Academy of Sciences by California Academy of Sciences (1895)
"... principally from Lower California. William J. Fox 1 Ou u Collection of ... of Lower California. Xo. 4. JG Cooper. 130 Description of « New Species of ..."
2. Bulletin of the New York Public Library by New York Public Library (1909)
"8°, Lower California Company. Lower California : its geography and characteristics, with a sketch of the grant and purposes of the Lower California Company. ..."
3. A History of California: The American Period by Robert Glass Cleland (1922)
"Smith's narrative of this Lower California expedition is particularly valuable because of the picture he draws of the hardships the goldseekers had to ..."
4. The Auk: Quarterly Journal of Ornithology by American Ornithologists' Union, Nuttall Ornithological Club (1898)
"On March 17, 1897, I shot a fully adult Pacific Kittiwake, at San Ge Gerónimo Island, Lower California, about 200 miles south of the united Sta States ..."
5. Resources of the Pacific Slope: A Statistical and Descriptive Summary of the by John Ross Browne (1869)
"The American surveyors estimate that the peninsula of Lower California /-' and its islands contain 200000 square miles of land, ..."
6. History of California by Theodore Henry Hittell (1898)
"But the central authorities, probably deeming Lower California of little account, replied that he should confine his visits to Alta California.1 At that ..."
7. Botany by Geological Survey of California, William Henry Brewer, Sereno Watson, Asa Gray (1876)
"Guadalupe Island, Lower California, J>r. ... Lower California has several, all of the tropical ... Lower California ..."