Definition of Maldives
1. Noun. A republic on the Maldive Islands; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1965.
Generic synonyms: Country, Land, State
Group relationships: Maldive Islands
Terms within: Male
Member holonyms: Maldivan, Maldivian
2. Noun. A group of about 1,200 small coral islands (about 220 inhabited) in the Indian ocean.
Terms within: Republic Of Maldives
Group relationships: Indian Ocean
Generic synonyms: Island
Definition of Maldives
1. Proper noun. An island country in South Asia. Official name: Republic of Maldives. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Maldives
Literary usage of Maldives
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A Historical Geography of the British Colonies by Charles Prestwood Lucas (1906)
"THE Maldives THE Maldive Archipelago is a dependency of Ceylon, and the Sultan of the Maldives pays allegiance to and enjoys the protection of the British ..."
2. The Geographical Journal by Royal Geographical Society (Great Britain). (1902)
"A. A^assiz carried out an expedition to the Maldives for ... Agassiz'conclusions respecting the physical history of the Maldives. l'\n tlio purposes of the ..."
3. The Imperial Gazetteer of India by William Wilson Hunter (1886)
"The political connection of the Maldives is with Ceylon, ... Our early knowledge of the Maldives is mainly derived from the Travels of Ibn Batuta, ..."
4. International Religious Freedom (2000): Report to Congress by the Department edited by Barbara Larkin (2001)
"Maldives Freedom of religion is restricted significantly. ... The US Government does not maintain a resident Embassy in the Maldives; the US Ambassador in ..."
5. Ceylon: A General Description of the Island, Historical, Physical by Horatio John Suckling (1876)
"THE Maldives. THESE very remarkable isles are a dependency of Ceylon, but the authority over them is merely nominal, as they are governed by their own ..."
6. Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society by Cambridge Philosophical Society (1902)
"The Maldives are a group of islands in the Indian Ocean to the south-west ... For administrative purposes the Maldives are divided into thirteen provinces, ..."