Definition of Malopterurus
1. Noun. Electric catfish.
Generic synonyms: Fish Genus
Group relationships: Family Siluridae, Siluridae
Member holonyms: Electric Catfish, Malopterurus Electricus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Malopterurus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Malopterurus
Literary usage of Malopterurus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Elements of the Comparative Anatomy of Vertebrates by Robert Wiedersheim, William Newton Parker (1897)
"Gymnotus possesses by far the strongest electric power, next to it comes Malopterurus, and then Torpedo. The electric batteries of these three Fishes Fto. ..."
2. Dictionary of Philosophy and Psychology: Including Many of the Principal by James Mark Baldwin (1901)
"These organs are in most cases metamorphosed muscular masses, though, in the electric shad of the Nile, Malopterurus, they are developed from cutaneous ..."
3. Dictionary of Philosophy and Psychology: Including Many of the Principal by James Mark Baldwin (1901)
"They are under the control of the brain, and are supplied by nerves which, except in Malopterurus, correspond to motor nerves, and whose peculiarly ..."
4. Comparative Anatomy of Vertebrates by Robert Wiedersheim (1907)
"... in different directions in these Torpedo mar- Malopterurus renders it clear ... while in Fishes: in Malopterurus it passes from the head Torpedo the ..."
5. Guide to the Gallery of Fishes in the Department of Zoology of the British by William George Ridewood (1908)
"Electric The Electric Cat-fish, Malopterurus electricus (383, and fig. 56), a fish not uncommon in the fresh waters of tropical Africa, has no FIG. 56. ..."