Definition of Mattole
1. Noun. A member of the Athapaskan people living in northwestern California.
2. Noun. The Athapaskan language spoken by the Mattole.
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Mattole Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mattole
Literary usage of Mattole
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Mines and Mineral Resources of Del Norte County, Humboldt County, Mendocino by F. L. Lowell, California State Mining Bureau (1915)
"Mattole Mining District. Rainbow Group. This copper prospect, consisting of nineteen claims, is located sixty miles south of Eureka in Sees. 19, 30 and 32, ..."
2. California Coast Trails: A Horseback Ride from Mexico to Oregon by Joseph Smeaton Chase (1913)
"... County — Dry climatic belts — The King's Peak Range — The Mattole Valley — Yews — The village of Petrolia: reminders of earthquake — Cape Mendocino, ..."
3. The California Earthquake of April 18, 1906: Report of the State Earthquake by Andrew Cowper Lawson, Harry Fielding Reid (1908)
"The houses are built on the soft bottom land of the Mattole River, several of them within a few feet of the river, and their supports are simply blocks of ..."
4. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences by California Academy of Sciences (1897)
"that comes from the southeast and separates the valley of the Mattole River from the ocean by a ... The Mattole runs northwestward through the mountains and ..."
5. Surface Water Supply of the United States by Geological Survey (U.S.) (1917)
"Mattole RIVER NEAR PETROLIA, CAL. NATION. ... in feet, of Mattole River near Petrolia, Cal., for the year ending Sept. 30, 1914. [Frank Adams, observer. ..."
6. Fifty Years of Methodism: A History of the Methodist Episcopal Church Within by Charles Volney Anthony (1901)
"Mattole and Bear River,—we have more than one Bear river in California—was a ... It then went out of sight from the minutes, but in 1880 it was Mattole and ..."