Definition of Myristica fragrans
1. Noun. East Indian tree widely cultivated in the tropics for its aromatic seed; source of two spices: nutmeg and mace.
Terms within: Nutmeg
Group relationships: Genus Myristica, Myristica
Generic synonyms: Spice Tree
Myristica Fragrans Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Myristica Fragrans Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Myristica Fragrans
Literary usage of Myristica fragrans
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Between East and West: The Moluccas and the Traffic in Spices Up to the by R. A. Donkin (2003)
"... he picked up the "strong and delicious scent" from another ship coming from Maluco with a cargo of cloves.31 THE NUTMEG: Myristica fragrans Description ..."
2. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention, American Pharmaceutical Association Meeting (1897)
"A. Schneider has made a comparative study of true or Banda mace, from myristica fragrans, and of wild or Bombay mace, from M. malabarica. ..."
3. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention (1909)
"Genuine or Banda Mace, the arillus of the fruit of Myristica fragrans, Houtt, as met with in commerce is usually flattened, about il/2 to r^ inches long and ..."
4. Pharmaceutical Botany by Heber Wilkinson Youngken, Francis Edward Stewart (1914)
"Official drug Part used Botanical name Myristica Kernel of seed Myristica fragrans Oleum ... Volatile oil Myristica fragrans FAMILY 7. ..."
5. Annual Report by Indiana State Board of Health (1910)
"Mace is the dried arillus of Myristica fragrans ... Nutmeg is the dried seed of the Myristica fragrans Hout- tuyn, deprived of Its testa, with or without a ..."
6. Annual Report by Indiana State Board of Health (1907)
"MACE is the dried arillus of Myristica fragrans ... NUTMEG is the dried seed of the Myristica fragrans ..."