Definition of Myrmecophaga
1. Noun. Type genus of the Myrmecophagidae; South American ant bear.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Myrmecophagidae, Myrmecophagidae
Member holonyms: Ant Bear, Giant Anteater, Great Anteater, Myrmecophaga Jubata, Tamanoir
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Myrmecophaga Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Myrmecophaga
Literary usage of Myrmecophaga
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Animal Kingdom Arranged in Conformity with Its Organization by Georges Cuvier, Pierre André Latreille (1831)
"Myrmecophaga, Lin. The Ant-Eaters are hairy animals with a long muzzle terminated by a small toothless mouth, from which is protruded a filiform tongue ..."
2. Catalogue of Carnivorous, Pachydermatous, and Edentate Mammalia in the by John Edward Gray (1869)
"The ribs of the skeleton of Myrmecophaga figured by Cuvier (Oss. Foss. vt 9) and ... Myrmecophaga. Toes 4.5. Palatine and pterygoid bones united beneath the ..."
3. A Text-book of Zoology by Thomas Jeffery Parker, William Aitcheson Haswell (1921)
"There are, at most, the rudiments of post-orbital pro- FIG. 1150.—Skull of Ant-eater (Myrmecophaga), lateral view, ..."
4. The New International Encyclopædia edited by Daniel Coit Gilman, Harry Thurston Peck, Frank Moore Colby (1902)
"2. LESSER ANT-EATER (Tamanduá tetradactyla). tus); walking and rolled up. 1. GREAT ANT-EATER (Myrmecophaga Jubata). 4-5. THREE-BANDED ARMADILLO (Tolypeutes ..."