Definition of Mytilene
1. Noun. An island of eastern Greece in the eastern Aegean Sea; in antiquity it was famous for lyric poetry.
Group relationships: Ellas, Greece, Hellenic Republic, Aeolia, Aeolis
Generic synonyms: Aegean Island
Member holonyms: Lesbian
Definition of Mytilene
1. Proper noun. Another name for Lesbos. ¹
2. Proper noun. The capital of Lesbos. ¹
¹ Source: wiktionary.com
Lexicographical Neighbors of Mytilene
Literary usage of Mytilene
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. A History of Greece to the Death of Alexander the Great by John Bagnell Bury (1913)
"REVOLT OF Mytilene Archidamus had invaded Attica for the third time, and had just Fourth quitted it, when the news arrived that Mytilene and the rest ..."
2. The Attic Orators from Antiphon to Isaeos by Richard Claverhouse Jebb (1893)
"The democracy at Mytilene had lately been overthrown by an oligarchy. ... This letter prays the government of Mytilene to receive back their fellow-citizen ..."
3. A History of Greece: From the Earliest Times to the Roman Conquest, with by William Smith, George Washington Greene (1883)
"Military and naval operations of the third year. Attempt of the Peloponnesians to surprise Piraeus. 8 3. Fourth year. Revolt of Mytilene. § 4. Fifth year. ..."
4. Travels & Discoveries in the Levant by Charles Thomas Newton, Dominic Ellis Colnaghi (1865)
"The fertile shore lying between Cape Malea and Mytilene would afford many places suitable for ... On the shore between Mytilene and Malea is the village of ..."
5. History of Greece, and of the Greek People, from the Earliest Times to the by Victor Duruy, M. M. Ripley, John Pentland Mahaffy (1889)
"Mytilene, like all the Greek cities, had two parties. The nobles, who held the people in strict subjection,1 had accepted reluctantly, and only through fear ..."
6. The Constitutional Antiquities of Sparta and Athens by Gustav Gilbert (1895)
"In the fragments of the treaty between Athens and Mytilene, at the foundation of the second Athenian League, an earlier treaty is referred to ; cf. ..."
7. Catalogue of the Greek Coins of Troas, Aeolis, and Lesbos by British Museum Dept. of Coins and Medals, Warwick William Wroth (1894)
"Mytilene. The types of the earlier autonomous coins of Mytilene (BC 440- 200) ... The worship of Mytilene. this god prevailed in many parts of Lesbos,t and ..."
8. Publications by Oriental Translation Fund (1835)
"And they went unto the isle of Mytilene, formerly called Lesbos, and besieged it many days, and battered its walls unto destruction, and took it by force; ..."