Definition of Nymphicus
1. Noun. A genus of Psittacidae.
Generic synonyms: Bird Genus
Group relationships: Family Psittacidae, Psittacidae
Member holonyms: Cockateel, Cockatiel, Cockatoo Parrot, Nymphicus Hollandicus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Nymphicus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Nymphicus
Literary usage of Nymphicus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. List of the Specimens of Birds in the Collection of the British Museum by George Robert Gray (1855)
"Platycercus cornutus, Vig. Zool. Journ. ip 528. Nymphicus ... Nymphicus cornutus, GR Gr. List of Gen. of B. (1855) p. 86. ..."
2. List of the Vertebrated Animals Now Or Lately Living in the Gardens of the by London Zoo (London, England), Philip Lutley Sclater (1883)
"Presented by Miss Eva Maitland, April 20, 1882. Genus Nymphicus. 582. ... XLIT. c. Female. Received in exchange, Sept. 14, 1882. 583. Nymphicus ..."
3. Catalogue of the Birds of the Tropical Islands of the Pacific Ocean by George Robert Gray (1859)
"SN ip 327- Platycercus cornutus, Vigors, Zool. Journ. ip 522. Nymphicus ... Nymphicus cornutus, GR Gray, List of Gen. of B. 1855, p. 86. GR Gray & Mitch. ..."
4. Handbook to the Birds of Australia by John Gould (1865)
"Zool. PI. 49. noca-hollandite, GR Gray, List of Gen. of Birds, 1855, p. 85. Nymphicus novae-hollandiae, Gould, Birds of Australia, fol., vol. v. ..."
5. List of the Specimens of Birds in the Collection of the British Museum by George Robert Gray (1848)
"P- a, b. Interior of S. Australia. Presented by Capt. Sturt. c. NE Australia. Presented by Sir Thomas Mitchell. c. Nymphicus. i'J. PLATYCERCUS ..."