Definition of Odocoileus
1. Noun. North American deer.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Cervidae, Family Cervidae
Member holonyms: Odocoileus Virginianus, Virginia Deer, White Tail, White-tailed Deer, Whitetail, Whitetail Deer, Burro Deer, Mule Deer, Odocoileus Hemionus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Odocoileus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Odocoileus
Literary usage of Odocoileus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History by American Museum of Natural History (1904)
"The olecranon is somewhat longer and considerably thicker than in either Antilocapra or Odocoileus; the shafts of ulna and radius are rather strongly bowed ..."
2. The Barnacles (Cirripedia) Contained in the Collections of the U.S. National by Henry Augustus Pilsbry (1907)
"ANTILOCAPRA Odocoileus. Both skin and skeleton are in good condition. ... Genus Odocoileus. Cervus macrotis californicus Catón. See page 288. ..."
3. American Animals: A Popular Guide to the Mammals of North America North of by Witmer Stone, William Everett Cram (1902)
"40 Virginia Deer in the Maine Woods at Night ... 42 Deer, in Moose Co., Idaho 44 Western White-tail, or Virginia Deer (Odocoileus ..."
4. American Animals: A Popular Guide to the Mammals of North America North of by Witmer Stone, William Everett Cram (1902)
"42 Deer, in Moose Creek, Idaho 44 Western White-tail, or Virginia Deer (Odocoileus virginianus macrourus) in the Bitter Root Valley, Montana 44 A Young ..."