Definition of Odocoileus hemionus
1. Noun. Long-eared deer of western North America with two-pronged antlers.
Generic synonyms: Cervid, Deer
Group relationships: Genus Odocoileus, Odocoileus
Specialized synonyms: Black-tailed Deer, Blacktail, Blacktail Deer, Odocoileus Hemionus Columbianus
Odocoileus Hemionus Pictures
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Odocoileus Hemionus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Odocoileus Hemionus
Literary usage of Odocoileus hemionus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. California Mammals by Frank Stephens (1906)
"Odocoileus hemionus californicus. CALIFORNIA MULE DEER. Transition, Upper Austral, Boreal and Lower Austral, 5,9, n, 12, 13. 22. Odocoileus columbianus. ..."
2. Ethnozoology of the Tewa Indians by Junius Henderson, John Peabody Harrington (1914)
"The fresh skin or the skin on the- animal is known as pse'k'owa, 'deer skin' (pse', Odocoileus hemionus; Fowa, tegument, skin). Hodge gives as Deer clans of ..."
3. An Introduction to the Mammalian Dentition by Thomas Wingate Todd (1918)
"... we take the black-tailed Virginia deer, Odocoileus hemionus (Fig. 74), a genus which has changed very little since Pliocene times. ..."
4. Description of a New Species of Sea Snake from the Philippine Islands: With by John Van Denburgh, Joseph Cheesman Thompson (1908)
"... least to San Luis Obispo County, and east through the Tejon region to the Tehachapi Mountains. Odocoileus hemionus eremicus (Mearns) Burro Deer Original ..."
5. American Animals: A Popular Guide to the Mammals of North America North of by Witmer Stone, William Everett Cram (1902)
"46 A Bunch of Mule-deer Does (Odocoileus hemionus) . . 48 Young Bull Moose (Alces americanas) .... 50 A Pair of Bull Moose (Alces americanus) . ..."