Definition of Odobenus
1. Noun. Type genus of the Odobenidae: walruses.
Generic synonyms: Mammal Genus
Group relationships: Family Odobenidae, Odobenidae
Member holonyms: Sea Horse, Seahorse, Walrus
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Odobenus Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Odobenus
Literary usage of Odobenus
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Additions to the Pleistocene Mammal Faunas of South Carolina, North Carolina by Albert E. Sanders (2002)
"A total of five specimens of Odobenus rosmarus from the late Pleistocene of South Carolina are reported above, and those, coupled with the two records ..."
2. Science by American Association for the Advancement of Science (1895)
"They are: Odobenus Glis Giraffa Pteropus Tragulus Hya?na ... but one of the genera take Linna-au species for types, ан follows: The type of Odobenus is 0. ..."
3. Bibliography and Catalogue of the Fossil Vertebrata of North America by Oliver Perry Hay (1902)
"498, fig. 339. 1868 A, p. 838. Petera, W. 1864 A, plate. (Odobenus ... (Odobenus. i Recent; shores of Northern Atlantic and Antic oceans from Labrador to ..."
4. Index Generum Mammalium: A List of the Genera and Families of Mammals by Theodore Sherman Palmer (1904)
"... by Ladders to the very H» of Rocks, that they may feed on the Dewie Grasse, or fresh water, and rol themselves in it." (ALLEN, ibid., p. 83.) Odobenus ..."
5. Bulletin by Geological Survey (U.S.) (1901)
"113. (Odobenus.) Zittel, KA 1893 B, p. 685. Odobenus rosmarus (Linn.). ... (Odobenus.i Recent: shores of Northern Atlantic ami ..."