Definition of Oxyuridae
1. Noun. Pinworms.
Generic synonyms: Worm Family
Group relationships: Aschelminthes, Nematoda, Phylum Aschelminthes, Phylum Nematoda
Member holonyms: Enterobius, Genus Enterobius
Medical Definition of Oxyuridae
1. A family of parasitic nematodes (superfamily Oxyuroidea) found in the large intestine or caecum of vertebrates and the intestine of invertebrates, especially insects and millipedes; it includes the genera Aspiculurus, Enterobius, Oxyuris, Passalurus, Syphacia, and Thelandros. (05 Mar 2000)
Lexicographical Neighbors of Oxyuridae
Literary usage of Oxyuridae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Theory and Practice of Veterinary Medicine by Austin H. Baker, Alexander Eger (1911)
"It belongs to the family oxyuridae of the order of nematodes. A scar id ae (family). ... Oxyuridae (family). [~Oxyuris curvula (species). [Common pin worm. ..."
2. A Treatise on Comparative Embryology by Francis Maitland Balfour (1885)
"Its metamorphosis is dealt with in another section. The ova of the Oxyuridae parasitic in Insects are stated by Caleb (No. ..."
3. A Text-book of the Diseases of the Small Domestic Animals by Oscar Victor Brumley (1921)
"The parasites inhabiting the rectum belong to the Nema- toda family, Oxyuridae. The following are the ones most often found: (a) Oxyuris vermicularis, ..."
4. The Animal Parasites of Man by Harold Benjamin Fantham, Maximilian Gustav Christian Carl Braun (1916)
"Straight posteriorly. Vulva 6 mm. from head with two lips. Eggs, 65 /A in diameter. Host : man, cutaneous abscesses. Trinidad. Family. Oxyuridae. Genus. ..."