Definition of Payena
1. Noun. Genus of medium to large Malaysian trees yielding gutta-percha.
Generic synonyms: Dicot Genus, Magnoliopsid Genus
Group relationships: Family Sapotaceae, Sapodilla Family, Sapotaceae
Member holonyms: Gutta-percha Tree
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Payena Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Payena
Literary usage of Payena
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. Proceedings of the American Pharmaceutical Association at the Annual Meeting by American Pharmaceutical Association, National Pharmaceutical Convention, American Pharmaceutical Association Meeting (1887)
"Payena Lancifolia, Burck.—The fat which is fluid at the ordinary temperature, ... The fat of this tree, which is doubtfully referred to the genus Payena, ..."
2. The Electrical Engineer (1898)
"In 1884 several kinds of Palaquium. as well as Payena were planted at ... young Palaquium gutta trees, planted without shade trees, and the next the Payena ..."
3. Report of the Governor General of the Philippine Islands by Philippines Governor (1907)
"Though of an inferior grade to that coming from Palaquium gutta, it may well be classed among the rest of the Palaquium and Payena species furnishing second ..."
4. Report of the Governor General of the Philippine Islands by Philippines Governor (1904)
"Though of an inferior grade to that coming from Palaquium gutta, it may well be classed among the rest of the Palaquium and Payena species, ..."