Definition of Pelobatidae
1. Noun. The amphibian family of spadefoot toads.
Generic synonyms: Amphibian Family
Group relationships: Anura, Batrachia, Order Anura, Order Batrachia, Order Salientia, Salientia
Member holonyms: Genus Scaphiopus, Scaphiopus, Spadefoot, Spadefoot Toad
Click the following link to bring up a new window with an automated collection of images related to the term: Pelobatidae Images
Lexicographical Neighbors of Pelobatidae
Literary usage of Pelobatidae
Below you will find example usage of this term as found in modern and/or classical literature:
1. The Cambridge Natural History by Arthur Everett Shipley, Sidney Frederic Harmer (1901)
"India, the Malay islands, and Papuasia with Melanesia possess Pelobatidae ... which we may select as of leading importance, eg Apoda or Pelobatidae, ..."
2. Fasciculi Malayenses: Anthropological and Zoological Results of an by Nelson Annandale, Herbert C. Robinson (1903)
"It is worthy of note, however, that while the Pelobatidae produce other instances of growths of a similar nature, these growths are merely characteristic of ..."
3. The Encyclopaedia Britannica: “a” Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature edited by Hugh Chisholm (1911)
"... the region agrees with Ethiopia in possessing representatives of the limbless Apoda, but differs in the presence of frogs of the family Pelobatidae, ..."
4. Archives de biologie (1880)
"Sous ce rapport, les Pelobatidae de Lataste (3) établiraient une transition entre les autres Anoures et les ..."